Wednesday, May 25, 2011

"Family" dinner (♪Tradition!♪)

So my room mates and I have created a tradition for Sunday night dinner.  We have a "family dinner."  Every week we have Taco Sunday.  This started when we wanted to do something together, but one of my room mates had Celiac disease (which means you can't have gluten, most common in wheat).  You would be surprised all the things people with celiac can't eat.

So instead of having to reinvent an edible dinner every week, we came up with tacos, because with corn tortillas it is completely gluten free, and really yummy.

(It helped that the first week i made tacos since my mom had taught me how.  Put the idea in their head i guess :D)

Now we split up the jobs, every week i fry the tortillas because of all of us i am the best at that specific job, and Michaela usually makes the meat and Amanda cuts the vegitables.

I'm also really lucky because they are willing to pitch in on groceries, so we switch off each week who gets what. 

Well recently we've been inviting friends and it's gotten pretty huge.  We've started asking friends to bring ingredients.

My Favorite taco memories this semester:
Exploding salsa!
my roomie forgot to check if the salsa lid was on before she shook it so it landed all over me, and even in her hair!

Vegan Taco!
My ex-roomate's boyfriend put a lot of meat on his taco (so much it was fallin out in heaps), and my other room mate's boyfriend made a sarcastic aside about him not having enough meat, and being vegan.  It was hilarious!

Silly Songs!
I was a bit loopy that day, and kinda hyper (awesome combo) so i started making up random silly songs about tacos, warrenting many weird looks from my room mate, and lots of giggles.

I believe that it is taco night that brings us closer together and keeps us on good terms with eachother.  I have noticed that the room mates that don't participate, don't become as close because they miss a load of bonding time.  I think I'll keep sunday dinner when i have my own home and family. ...When the time eventially comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment